Thursday, January 19, 2012

6th Edition: A Brave New World

I have a stack of 40k projects that I've let fall by the wayside...
I still have to repaint (and build) the rest of the Wolf Girls,
I have 300 dollars worth of anime robot toys and Gi-Joe guns that despite my personality
I have NOT turned into Tau crisis suits,
I have boxes of unassembled and unopened Blood Tiger Sharkadons (Blood Angles).
Maybe I've been strapped for time?
But somehow over the Christmas break I've managed to assemble and paint 20 15mm Sherman Tanks.
Why?
I'm not some huge WWII nut, I actually can be quoted as saying a year ago when Flames of War 2nd edition dropped that I didn't care about world war II games without werewolves, vampires or zombie missiles. I've spent countless hours painting and building my precious 40k armies, pouring every available drop of income into expanding my plastic treasure horde so that one day I might sit apon it and guard it like a dragon of olde.
I love 40k.
It's immense background, even if now I'd prefer making armies that are satirical of it's own grim darkness nowadays. I was winning local gaming tournaments left and right, and I now I have no impetus to do anything with 40k. Why?

I think I can speak for many people who are in the same boat as I am...
I started playing at the end of 2nd edition, moving into 3rd seemed like some strange new thing, where everything was different and new. And now after 14 years of Warhammer I'm board as all hell.
Why? The answer is so easy! For more than half my life I've been playing 3RD EDITION! Games Workshop isn't necessarily completely at fault here, but 3rd-5th edition have been basically an expansion of the same rules. And, this has turned the universe where THIS could happen...





Into someplace I'd rather immortalize in my memory rather than by building or painting stuff. So what's that got to do with winds of change a blowing? This new edition was the first one in 2 editions that I couldn't just have someone tell me the 5 things that changed from the last edition and then we could start playing.
ALMOST EVERYTHING IS CHANGING (by the look of it)! Thank the maker! I want a new way to play with my favorite monster toys! Other than a Mutant League Xbox 360 game there's nothing else I've wanted more.
And to be completely honest I think this is what 40k needs. It needs a burst of new life. One codex every 3 months that's only slightly less stodgey than the last is like life support, we need a whole new heart. And I think that's what were getting with this new edition.
It seems like Monty had a few negative things to say about the "complexity" of the rules, and you know as someone who'd also rather play Blood Bowl in the computer game instead of getting out one of our 4 blood bowl (I can't stop buying them! HELP ME!) sets and getting down to remembering how to actually make a pass I can see his point. But I want something new, and since the old rules have had more and more 'speed holes' added to them over the years I'd like to see a bit of meat to this one. And as we all know this isn't the FINAL DRAFT of the rules, so there's going to be some actual play-testing (actually it's probably already happened) that will cut off some of the fat, and practice makes perfect, once everyone's had a few rounds of bracing and over watching they'll probably see a drastically reduced game time.

As far as specific notes on what I like of the leak:
-Wound allocation is now worse.
-Only one save, but FnP is invlunerable.
-Vehicles got a huge amount change, in the right direction. Glancing vehicles is now a way to kill them again.
-Pistols in Close Combat! HORRAY! I've been wondering why Plasma Pistols were still a thing.
-Rapid Fire, making Tacs and Bats a lot better, and Tau Fire Warriors really mean.
-Evasion, although I don't know why it's how it is with moving infantry being harder to hit than hiding infantry It makes sense both ways, and adds some protection to fast vehicles and panzeys.
-Double Chart! Double your WS and Less than half now matter! YAY! (It won't happen ever but it's just something I've always wanted.)
I leafed through some of the army errata and the absentees are probably the biggest shockers Bats, Blacks and Crons...hmmmm well I think this might be a nod that Templards are getting a book before Tau (yeah cause any marine book needed that) but not sisters? Does this mean they forgot about our Nunamatrixes? Or that they might have NEW rules to make them real girls?
Pretty sneaky Games Workshop!
And Monty's gripery although probably due at least in fact to his unquenchable thirst to be this bitchest bitch around* isn't completely one sided slandersauce. It's true, the rules look like a minefield of bleeding paragraphs and decapitated ideas but I'm at least somewhat sure that GW will mend all those verbal and clerical lacerations in the final cut. We just need a little hope.
So Hold the line, cause 'love' isn't always on time...

*Seriously though I love Monty!**
** JK I hate that poopface.***
***These are funnier than Monty's notes.****
****OK I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment